Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Herbs are the cure

You wouldn't believe how beneficial herbs are to consume for illness. Its like a free prescription drug in your backyard if you can learn how to grow and harvest your own. Growing and consuming my own herbs literally saved my life.. and it also made my food taste better too! I began figuring out ways to use utilize the herbs that i grew in my garden to make relaxing herbal teas with wonderful flavors and aromas. It is always the season that is the deciding element as to what exactly I am mixing in my teapot. The most important ingredient in my tea mixture is always mint.. and lots of it! I grow all different kinds of mints because each kind has its own unique flavor. For example, in my garden i currently have an abundance of spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, orange mint, grapefruit mint, ginger mint, and pineapple mint. Most of the time I just combine together whichever mints have the freshest leaves growing at the time. I like to combine the mint leaves with lemon balm, sage, catnip, and fresh edible flowers like rose pedals.. or lavender in the spring and marigolds in the fall. It really all depends on whats growing best at the time and what flavors combine well.

Here are some tea mixes I gathered.




I always pick the freshest and ripest parts of the plant and rinse the leaves and flowers thoroughly so that i get all the bugs and dirt off. After an initial first wash, i use scissors to cut up the plants into smaller pieces.




Once they are all cut up, I wash them again in a pasta strainer. While boiling water, I'll add the cut up herbs to a ceramic teapot and then transfer the boiling water from the teapot on the stove, to the teapot with all the herbs in it. Before pouring, let it sit for awhile to allow the herbs to release their flavor. After about 5 minutes, pour the tea through a fine metal strainer into a teacup and enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment